Changes Visitors Need To Know
From 1st August the Japanese Garden will reopen to the public. The garden is just over 1 acre in size and therefore we will be limiting the number of people who are able to visit us at any one time to maintain social distancing and keep visitors safe. We now require visitors to pre-book prior to their visit to us.
Key points –
- Pre booked tickets are now essential for ALL visitors, including Season Ticket Holders and children 3 years old +.
- Tickets will be available to pre-book 14 days in advance of your visit and we ask that you book a time slot for your visit to help us maintain social distancing.
- Bookings must be made online via the Booking Calendar.
- Time-slots are 30 minutes (this is your arrival time – once you arrive for your visit you may stay as long as you like within opening hours) – you must arrive within the slot you choose when booking.
- Groups can be up to 8 people in any 30 minute time-slot.
- A £5.00 deposit will be required to secure your booking and the remaining entry fee for your group will be paid when you arrive for your visit.
- Amending or cancelling your booking can be made up to 24 hours before your booked visit.
- Visits to the Shop & Nursery (not the garden) will still need to be booked in advance – see below for details.
- We kindly ask that you keep a 2 meter distance from all staff and other garden visitors at all times.
- Please wear a face covering whilst inside the Shop for the safety of vulnerable people.
- Please follow all directional signage, use the hand sanitisation points that are available.
- Please postpone your visit to us if you or any other member of your household has displayed any Covid-19 symptoms in the last 14 days.
- Please love the Garden as much as we do and take your rubbish home; leave us only your footprints.
All visits must be booked online in advance in timed slots.
The Booking Process – Step By Step Guide
- ‘Bringing anyone with you?’ – Click to toggle this option on and select how many additional people you want to bring with you (there are 8 available spaces per 30 minute time-slot only).
- Please include everyone who will be visiting including, Children 3 years old +, Season Pass holders, carers and ‘free garden entry ticket’ holders.
- Select the time-slot that you would like to arrive within – the available time-slots will be displayed for you to select (if a time-slot is NOT showing it means there are not enough spaces left in that slot for the number of people you are trying to book for – so please select another available slot)
- Continue to the booking form and fill in your details (please check your email address is correct otherwise you will not receive your confirmation email)
- Check the total number of people you have booked to visit before you confirm your booking.
- Confirm your booking which will take you to your Cart page.
- Check the items in your cart to make sure your booking is included and pay the £5.00 deposit by either logging in to Paypal or select the ‘Proceed to Checkout’ option (you can pay via Credit or Debit card without a Paypal account)
- Once payment is complete you will receive a Booking Confirmed email (please make sure your email address is correct before confirming your booking).
- Your booking is now complete and we look forward to seeing you soon.
When you make a booking you will select a half hour slot – this is a 30 minute arrival window. You can arrive at any time during this half hour. Please do not arrive outside of your booking slot as you will be refused entry if we are at capacity.
A £5.00 deposit will be taken at the time of booking which will be deducted from the remaining balance owed when you arrive for your visit. If you hold a Season Pass or have a ‘Free garden entry ticket’, please contact us prior to booking for a Coupon Code.
If you are a Concession (£4.50) and pay the £5.00 deposit; you can request your 50p refund when you visit.
The £5.00 deposit is non-refundable and will be taken as payment for any missing members of your group if 24-hours prior notice is not given. We are a small business and have drastically limited the numbers in order to keep our customers safe so it is vital that people do not book a time-slot and not show up.
If you are not visiting the garden but would like to visit the Shop and Nursery; you will need to either:
- Book via the online Booking Calendar to reserve a time-slot to visit (the £5.00 deposit taken at the time of booking will be deducted from any purchases you make).
- Or ring us on the day you would like to visit to see how busy we are – we might be able to allow you in without booking if we are quiet.
When you arrive you will be able to pay for your booked group members and visit the garden (your £5.00 pre-paid deposit will be deducted from the remaining balance for the entry fee – if applicable).
You and your party are welcome to spend as long as you like in the garden before you leave (within our opening hours). Although previously we have allowed people to leave and return throughout the day this will no longer be possible due to the need to restrict numbers for social distancing. (Leaving the garden to use the public toilets will not result in you being refuse re-entry).
Please feel free to bring a packed lunch, just please take your litter home with you.
It is essential for all visitors – including Season Ticket holders – to book a time slot online before coming to the Japanese Garden.
Bookings can be changed or cancelled up to 24 hours before your booked visit. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deposits are non-refundable. If you book for several people and some of your party do not arrive for your scheduled time-slot the deposit will be taken as partial payment for the missing booked members.
We’re open seven days a week, 10am – 6pm, and our latest booking slots for arrival are at 4.30pm – 5pm daily.
Please do not arrive outside of your booking slot as you will be refused entry if we are at capacity.
You must not book to visit the Japanese Garden unless you can safely visit us and are respecting the latest government guidance on coronavirus in doing so.
In order to keep customers safe during their visit to us we have introduced a new entry system.
When you arrive for your visit you will now walk to the left side of the Shop building and will be served through the side window to check in and pay your entry fee (instead of walking in to the shop via the double doors – as this is now the Exit only).
Being served via the side window will allow you to walk directly from the car-park to the window and straight on to the garden (all via the one-way system).
You will not enter the Shop until you return from the garden; the one-way system will lead you from the Garden Exit back to the Shop via the new pathway (built to bring you back from the garden through the Concrete area and back to the Shop).
The garden is an outdoor space with very little indoor areas (Zen garden and symbolic Tea-house have roofs but are not fully enclosed). The garden is approximately 1 acre in size and has a myriad of pathways allowing visitors to wander in many different routs and directions. Because of this we have not implemented a one-way system in the main part of the garden except the entrance and exit walkways.
When you enter the garden from the entrance; you will be directed via a sign to follow the pathway to the left which will lead you into the garden by the Small waterfall. You will then be free to walk the garden pathways as you choose but we ask that you respect other visitors and maintain social distancing as set out in the Government guidance. Please keep your group together when visiting including children.
When you are ready to exit the garden you will see signs directing you to walk across the bridge and towards the exit gate which will lead you out of the garden and towards our new one way system that will bring you back to the nursery and shop. Please look for signs to direct you.
The shop has been made Covid secure in line with government guidance with many markers to demonstrate the correct distance you need to give between yourself and others visiting. We ask that whilst in the Shop you wear a face covering (this is not expected of children or people with breathing difficulties).
The gift section of the shop we have implemented a one-way system and we ask that this be respected at all times.
We have put up screens around our counter and till areas to protect staff and visitors and we are providing visitors with self-serve packing bags so we can reduce the contact during purchases.
We ask that you only touch items you intend to purchase to reduce the risk of transference; we have attempted to display products as best we can so you will be able to view it without touching it.
Currently accepting payments via card, contactless and cash.
Frequently Asked Questions (Booking a visit & Covid-19)
Q: When are you reopening?
We reopened from the 1st August 2020 by appointment only. Please book your visit via our Booking page.
Q: Do we have to book if we only want to visit the Shop?
You have 2 options: Book via the online Booking Calendar to reserve a time-slot to visit (the £5.00 deposit taken at the time of booking will be deducted from any purchases you make). This will guarantee your spot and will avoid possible disappointment.
Or ring us on the day you would like to visit to see how busy we are – we might be able to allow you in without booking if we are quiet enough.
We have usually found in the past (before the pandemic) that the shop and garden tend to get quieter from about 4-6pm so I would recommend ringing us on the day and if you are hoping to come in; aim for the later part of the day.
Q: How has our business been made Covid-Safe?
Below is a list of precautions we have taken to ensure the safety of our customers and our staff:
- Perspex screens fitted around the counter areas
- Signage to inform customers to Socially Distance, and to inform about changes to the business
- Floor tape to demonstrate 2 meter distances throughout the shop
- Hand sanitizer available for staff and customers in the shop
- Soap located by the taps in both the Young Tree and Outdoor Bonsai Sections
- Anti-bacterial spray/wipes will be available for staff
- Face masks will be available for customers to purchase
- Face masks will be provided to staff – should staff need to assist a customer or come out from behind the perspex screen they will wear a mask
- Customers will be provided with bags so they can package their own purchases – to reduce the contact
- Doors will remain open at all times – unless temperatures drop to an uncomfortable level
- Booking system now in effect – customers now book online prior to visiting the garden to spread out visits and limit numbers
- A One-way system has been implemented at the time of visitors arrival – they will be served through the side window and they will enter the garden directly; without going through the shop
- One-way garden exit – the exit will bring visitors back to the shop via a new pathway and customers will exit out of the main double doors when they leave
Book to visit via our Booking page.
Q: How do I book a time-slot so I can visit?
Please see the Booking Process Step-by-step guide near the top of the page which explains how you make a booking and book your visit via our Booking page.
Q: The slot I want to book is not available to select for the number of people I want to book for, why?
If a time-slot is not showing up for you to select (after you have filled in how many additional people you would like to book for) it means that particular time-slot does not have enough spaces available for the number of people you want to book for as its already been booked by other visitors – please select a time-slot that IS available for your group.
Q: I don’t have a Paypal account, can I still make a booking and pay my deposit?
YES – when you have selected your booking slot and filled in your booking information you will see your booking in your shopping Cart – you will have the option to ‘Proceed to Checkout‘ which will give you the option to login to a Paypal account or select the button under this to ‘Pay by debit or credit card‘ – this will take you to the Paypal Guest Checkout where you can fill in your billing details and checkout without a Paypal account.
Q: I have a season pass, do I still have to pay a booking deposit when I book to visit?
NO – If you are a season ticket holder or you have a Free garden entry ticket, please email email@example.com and request a Coupon Code. Enter the Coupon Code when you are filling in the Booking form and this will allow you to make the booking without the deposit payment. We just ask that if you cannot make your visit, you ring or email us as soon as you can so we can cancel your booking and open up the spaces for other visitors.
Q: I need to cancel my booking later the same day, can I have a refund of my deposit?
If you cancel your booking 24 hours ahead of your booking then we will refund your booking deposit in full. Given the nature of the current situation we are unable to refund the £5 booking deposit if a booking is canceled after the 24 hour notice window. This is because we have limited the number of booking slots available to a very small number to keep everyone safe but it does put our business at risk financially. If we are informed of a cancelation a full 24 hours ahead of the booking we can open up the slots for other visitors.
Q: I booked for several people but some of my group cant make it, is this ok?
If one or several of your group cannot visit for the pre-booked visit, please email or phone us to inform us of the change in numbers at least 24 hours ahead of your booking so we can change your booking and open up the slots for other visitors.
If you inform us later than the 24 hour notice period your £5 deposit will be taken as payment for the missing person/persons for your booking. This also applies if you arrive with less than your booked number of visitors.
We reserve the right to refuse entry to anyone who does not respect the social distancing rules and regulations as our primary concern is the safety of our visitors and staff. Anyone who is rude to the staff, or other visitors will be asked to leave.