The Booking Process – Step By Step Guide
- ‘Bringing anyone with you?’ – Click to toggle this option on and select how many additional people you want to bring with you (there are 8 available spaces per 30 minute time-slot only).
- Please include everyone who will be visiting including: Adults, Concessions, Children aged 3 years old and over, Season Pass holders, carers and ‘free garden entry ticket’ holders.
- Select the time-slot that you would like to arrive within – the available time-slots will be displayed for you to select (if a time-slot is NOT showing it means there are not enough spaces left in that slot for the number of people you are trying to book for – so please select another available slot)
- Continue to the booking form and fill in your details (please check your email address is correct otherwise you will not receive your confirmation email)
- Check the total number of people you have booked to visit.
- Pay the £5.00 deposit by selecting which Payment Method you would like to use.
- Payment Method – You can select Credit Card to pay with a credit or debit card or Paypal.
- If you select Credit Card – boxes will appear for you to enter your card details: Card number, Expiry date and the 3 digit security code found on the back of your card and your Postcode.
- If you select Paypal you will be prompted to login to your Paypal account after you have confirmed your booking.
- Confirm your booking.
- The £5.00 deposit will cover entry for 1 of your booked group and any additional people will need to be paid for on arrival
- Once payment is complete you will receive a Booking Confirmed email (please make sure your email address is correct before confirming your booking or you will not receive the confirmation).
- Your booking is now complete and we look forward to seeing you soon.
- Having trouble making your booking? Please see our FAQ’s below to troubleshoot.
Please note: If you book for more than 1 person there will a charge when you arrive for the additional people booked for.
The total amount you will be charged for your booking is £5.00 – whether you book for 1 person or up to 8 people you will only be charged a total of £5.00 at the online checkout.
Changes from Monday 14th September –
- From Monday 14th September, the “rule of six” will be introduced in England which means that people will not be able to meet in groups of more than six unless they are in a household (and support bubble) of more than 6 people.
- The Rule of Six replaces the existing bans on more than 30 meeting and the rule of only two households.
- Controlled Covid-secure premises (eg; restaurants, pubs, attractions, hotels) can host more than six people but individual groups visiting these premises must not be larger than 6 people.
- Two households can still meet up, but not if they make a group of more than six people.
- This rule will not apply to individual households or support bubbles of more than 6 who will still be able to gather together.
What does this mean if you are visiting The Japanese Garden?
If you are planning your visit and your group is 6 people or less: nothing will change for you – please read the information on this page and make your booking via our Booking a visit page.
If your group is larger than 6 people: please only book if your group will legally be allowed to visit. The new rule will not apply to individual households or support bubbles of more than 6 who will still be able to gather together.
Please check the latest government guidance found on the GOV.UK website.
Changes Visitors Need To Know
From 1st August the Japanese Garden reopened to the public. The garden is just over 1 acre in size and therefore we will be limiting the number of people who are able to visit us at any one time to maintain social distancing and keep visitors safe. We now require visitors to pre-book prior to their visit to us.
We are open from 10am – 6pm, 7 days a week from the 1st March until the 31st October. Including Sundays and Bank Holidays.
Last entrance to the Japanese Garden 5pm.
Children: £2.50 (3 – 16 years)
Concessions: £4.50 (Seniors (60+), Students (16 +), Disabled, NHS Staff & Armed Forces)
Babies/in buggies free
Shop & plant areas are admission free.
Sorry no dogs allowed in the garden itself (except guide dogs).
Key points –
- Pre booked tickets are now essential for ALL visitors, including Season Ticket Holders and children aged 3 years old and over (Please do not included babies or children under 3 when booking)
- Tickets will be available to pre-book 14 days in advance of your visit and we ask that you book a time slot for your visit to help us maintain social distancing.
- Bookings must be made online via the Booking Calendar.
- Time-slots are 30 minutes (this is your arrival time – once you arrive for your visit you may stay as long as you like within opening hours) – you must arrive within the slot you choose when booking.
- Groups can be up to 8 people in any 30 minute time-slot.
- A £5.00 deposit will be required to secure your booking and the remaining entry fee for your group will be paid when you arrive for your visit.
- Amending or cancelling your booking can be made up to 24 hours before your booked visit.
- Visits to the Shop & Nursery (not the garden) may still need to be booked in advance – see ‘Covid-19 Information‘ for details.
- We kindly ask that you keep a 2 meter distance from all staff and other garden visitors at all times.
- Please wear a Face covering whilst inside the Shop for the safety of vulnerable people.
- Please follow all directional signage, use the hand sanitisation points that are available.
- Please postpone your visit to us if you or any other member of your household has displayed any Covid-19 symptoms in the last 14 days.
- Please love the Garden as much as we do and take your rubbish home; leave us only your footprints.
FAQs (Booking a visit & Covid-19)
Q: Having trouble making a booking?
Please check the following before you contact us:
– Try using a browser such as Google Chrome or Incognito – Both these browsers have often worked well when others have struggled.
– Clear your browser history – and the cache.
– Check you have pop-ups enabled – and enable them if they are not via your browser Settings.
– If none of these things work – try opening a ‘Private window’ in your browser and try to book via this.
If you are still struggling to book then please do get in touch with us and we will try to assist you.
Q: When are you reopening?
We reopened from the 1st August 2020 by appointment only. Please see our Covid-19 Information page for details and book your visit by using the booking system at the top of the page.
Q: Do we have to book if we only want to visit the Shop?
You have 2 options: Book via the online Booking Calendar to reserve a time-slot to visit (the £5.00 deposit taken at the time of booking will be deducted from any purchases you make). This will guarantee your spot and will avoid possible disappointment.
Or ring us on the day you would like to visit to see how busy we are – we might be able to allow you in without booking if we are quiet enough.
We have usually found in the past (before the pandemic) that the shop and garden tend to get quieter from about 4-6pm so I would recommend ringing us on the day and if you are hoping to come in; aim for the later part of the day.
Q: How has our business been made Covid-Safe?
Below is a list of precautions we have taken to ensure the safety of our customers and our staff:
- Perspex screens fitted around the counter areas
- Signage to inform customers to Socially Distance, and to inform about changes to the business
- Floor tape to demonstrate 2 meter distances throughout the shop
- Hand sanitizer available for staff and customers in the shop
- Soap located by the taps in both the Young Tree and Outdoor Bonsai Sections
- Anti-bacterial spray/wipes will be available for staff
- Face masks will be available for customers to purchase
- Face masks will be provided to staff – should staff need to assist a customer or come out from behind the perspex screen they will wear a mask
- Customers will be provided with bags so they can package their own purchases – to reduce the contact
- Doors will remain open at all times – unless temperatures drop to an uncomfortable level
- Booking system now in effect – customers now book online prior to visiting the garden to spread out visits and limit numbers
- A One-way system has been implemented at the time of visitors arrival – they will be served through the side window and they will enter the garden directly; without going through the shop
- One-way garden exit – the exit will bring visitors back to the shop via a new pathway and customers will exit out of the main double doors when they leave
Please see our Covid-19 Information page for more details.
Q: How do I book a time-slot so I can visit?
Please see the Step-by-step guide near the top of the page which explains how you make a booking and book your visit via the booking form at the top of the page.
Q: The slot I want to book is not available to select for the number of people I want to book for, why?
If a time-slot is not showing up for you to select (after you have filled in how many additional people you would like to book for) it means that particular time-slot does not have enough spaces available for the number of people you want to book for as its already been booked by other visitors – please select a time-slot that IS available for your group.
Q: I don’t have a Paypal account, can I still make a booking and pay my deposit?
YES – when you have selected your booking slot and filled in your booking information you will see a Payment Method heading – you can select Credit Card and this will allow you to pay with a credit or debit card. If you select Credit Card – boxes will appear for you to enter your card details: Card number, Expiry date and the 3 digit security code found on the back of your card and your Postcode. Once you have entered the information you can confirm your booking.
Q: I have a season pass, do I still have to pay a booking deposit when I book to visit?
NO – If you are a season ticket holder or you have a Free garden entry ticket, please email email@example.com and request a Coupon Code. Enter the Coupon Code when you are filling in the Booking form and this will allow you to make the booking without the deposit payment. We just ask that if you cannot make your visit, you ring or email us as soon as you can so we can cancel your booking and open up the spaces for other visitors.
Q: I need to cancel my booking later the same day, can I have a refund of my deposit?
If you cancel your booking 24 hours ahead of your booking then we will refund your booking deposit in full. Given the nature of the current situation we are unable to refund the £5 booking deposit if a booking is canceled after the 24 hour notice window. This is because we have limited the number of booking slots available to a very small number to keep everyone safe but it does put our business at risk financially. If we are informed of a cancelation a full 24 hours ahead of the booking we can open up the slots for other visitors.
Q: I booked for several people but some of my group cant make it, is this ok?
If one or several of your group cannot visit for the pre-booked visit, please email or phone us to inform us of the change in numbers at least 24 hours ahead of your booking so we can change your booking and open up the slots for other visitors.
If you inform us later than the 24 hour notice period your £5 deposit will be taken as payment for the missing person/persons for your booking. This also applies if you arrive with less than your booked number of visitors.
Please click Covid-19 Information for additional details.